Thursday, January 19, 2012

Activity #5 Density

LITHIUM ATOM-There are 3 protons, 3 neutrons, and 3 electrons for lithium.  The density for Lithium is 0.534 grams per cubic centimeter.


BORON ATOM- There are 5 protons, 6 neutrons, and 5 electrons.  The density for Boron is 2.34 grams per cubic centimeter. 


#2 Density?
Density:The density, d of a substance is the quanitity of mass, m, per unit of volume, V.
                                                 
 #3 I did the density pre lab quiz from the Relative Denisty-sink or float document. Here are my results
.
For the first question I was given a picture of two red blcoks, one much larger than the other and asked the following questions. Cube A was the smaller of the two blocks

1. Will cube (A) sink or float in water?  I think it will sink because even if they have the same mass it has less surface area and will sink.
2. Will cube (B) sink or float in water?  I think it will float because it has more surface area than cube A. 
For the next question I was given these two materials, a plastic hockey puck and a metal hockey puck and asked the following questions.
material: plastic hockey puck              

Mass:                   1.5 grams
Volume:    7.85 cm3
Density:    11.8 g/cm3
material:“metal” hockey puck
Mass: 25.5 grams
Volume: 38-cm3
Density: 0.67g/cm3
3. Will (C) sink or float in water?  Explain your answer. C will float because even though they have the same surface area they are made of different materials.  The aluminum is a heavier material than plastic and plastic floats.
4. Will (D) sink or float in water?  Explain your answer. D will sink because it is made of a heavier material, aluminum sinks.

For the next set of questions I was shown two pictures of Au or gold of two different sizes and asked this question. The hightlighed C is my answer.

You are given two solid gold bricks (Au)!  Which properties change from brick number 1 to brick number 2? Choose the answer(s) that apply.
A. the mass of the gold will change
B. the volume of the gold will change
C. the density of the gold will change

This was my last question. My answer is bolded.

6. I love silver (Ag)!  I won a contest and the prize was a life-sized statue of my dog!
I pick up my prize worth $6,000.00!  On the way out, I start thinking that it isn’t very heavy for an object of this size made of solid silver.  I know it is only a “prize” that I won, but I think it might be made of something other than valuable silver. 
How could I find out for sure if this statue is made of solid silver?

First I would figure out how much my dog weighed and also how much silver weighed per gram.  I would figure out what the weight of true silver would be if it was the same weight as my dog.  Then I would weigh my statue to see if it weighed the same as it should.  Also if the dog is light enough to lift or move without hesitation it is definitely not a true life size replica of my dog because silver would be much heavier than it seems to be in this simulation. 

#4 Myster Blocks Activity
Block A
Mass: 65.14 kg, Volume 3.38 L, Density 19.27, Material Gold, Gold's known density is 19.3

Block B
Mass .64 kg, Volume .64 L, Density 1, Material Water, Water's known density is 1

Block C
Mass 4.08 kg, Volume 10.20, Density 0.4, Material Wood,  Wood's known density is .40

Block D
Mass 3.10 kg, Volume 3.10 L, Density 1, Material Water, Water's known density is 1

Block E
Mass 3.53 kg, Volume 1 L, Density 3.53, Material Diamond, Diamond's known density is 3.53

#5 Science Standards this activity applies to:
A.4.1 When conducting science investigations, ask and answer qeustions that will help decide the general areas of science being addressed.
A.4.3 When investigating a science related problem, decide what data can be collected to determine the most useful explanations. 
C.4.3 Use multiple sources of information to help answer questions selected for classroom investigations.
C.4.7 Support their conclusions with logical arguments.
















    
                                                                                                                               













.                                                                    

  



 


. 

No comments:

Post a Comment